Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Radiohead and Storms

Currently there is a huge thunderstorm here in Amsterdam, it is pouring rain and thunder and lightning. Very spooky.

Yesterday was the big radiohead concert here in Amsterdam. Unfortunately, Laurel was feeling sick so Lee and I headed to the Westergasfabriek Cultuurpark early and got a spot in line. Fans here in Europe don't line up as early as in America, so Lee and I managed to get a great spot right in front of the stage, about 5 people back. Pretty nice. Of course the venue has been taken over by Live Nation...like everywhere else on the planet. I cannot escape Live Nation. But unlike in America, you have to trade in money for tokens to pay for drinks and food. Which was lame, and tedious. Hopefully, they dont adopt that at the Comcast Center...

The opening band Bats for Lashes was terrible. It was a Bjork knockoff but with people playing four or five instruments per song. Which is way too many, and you never even heard the clarinet or saw...yes saw..being played at any given time. It was painful to wait through, but Lee and I managed to survive. The whole crowd wasnt really feeling it, so there was a huge sigh of relief when they left the stage.

Radiohead was amazing. They had an interesting lighting design that consisted of light tubes all over the stage, which flashed in many colors during the performance. They played all the songs I wanted to hear and there was a great vibe. Thom Yorke was much more happy go lucky than I anticipated, telling jokes and dancing around. it was a great time. They played two encores and even played a new song. Unfortunately, I didnt bring my camera in, so I have no good pictures. But I am sure a quick google search will get me some later :)

-Liz

No comments: