Thursday, September 27, 2007

I am alive

I apologize for the delay in posting! I have been settling into Dublin since Monday, and been unable to get near a computer. The plane from Boston was uneventful, all my bags were underweight and made it here, and I was able to sleep on the plane.

I spent the first few days at the Abbey Court Hostel in the city center. The time was mostly spent sleeping, and meeting everyone else in the program. We also had a slew of orientation meetings and activities to help us all adjuect to our new social and academic life here in Dublin.

Today we finally moved into our flat. The area is really nice, the flat turned out to be more like a townhouse with two floors. The first has the kitchen and living area, and the upstairs has the bedrooms and bathrooms. (complete with towel warmers!) We also have a bathtub and a seperate shower, which is basically amazing. The townhouse is in a little cul de sac off the main street, with a bus stop right outside. There are all sorts of restaurants, bars, pubs, shops, and grocery stores along the main road in walking distance. Tonight Megan, one of our new roommates Kate and I went out in search of bedding, and enjoyed a traditional pub meal at a local hangout.

One of the first things I really noticed about Dublin is the weather. It is alot colder here already than I had previously anticipated. I had to go out and buy a proper jacket, which was made easy thanks to a wonderful discount department store known as Penney's (no relation to JC Penney stateside). They were simply unbelievable. However, despite the cold, the Irish people vary extremely in the degree of coats and gear they wear out and about. Some people wear literally no jacket and short sleeves, while others are completely covered with a hat, scarf and gloves.

Besides the weather, Ireland is fairly nice. I miss America, I desperately miss Lee, and I miss peanut butter.

I have a new cell phone number. email me for details.

I will try not to burden with too much info on my first post, but here is a quick photo from the flat, and a link to a flickr set of more.



Something about this view from my bedroom window, just reminds me of Hitchcock's Rear Window.

-Liz

No comments: