Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Ducks and Sunsets

What have I been up to the past few days?

Feeding ducks, seeing sunsets, and catching up with old friends.

In Dublin, my favorite thing to do by far was feed the ducks in both the Grand Canal and in St.Stephen's Green. Since returning to America I have been hunting the Massachusetts landscape for ducks who need feeding. After saving up some delectable stale wheat bread, cheerios and life cereal, my friend Ashley and I embarked on a two hour epic quest for ducks. We scoured all of the ponds and lakes in Rochester, stopped in Acushnet and Lakeville, and finally had to settle for the surly ducks at Buttonwood Park in New Bedford.
Now, I enjoyed duck feeding in Dublin because it was relaxing, and a great activity to help me unwind and think things through during a hectic day. It was a great escape. Plus, I just love ducks. The ducks at Buttonwood were anything but relaxing. Upon arrival, as we slowly approached the water's edge, the ducks, geese, sea gulls, and potential swans literally rose out of the water and walked toward us. Seeing the image of a bag full of goodies, the birds became aggressive and in a scene out of a Hitchcock film, surrounded me on all sides. After the initial fear and panic wore off, it was a good time, many laughs and screams were had by all, and you can see all the great photos my friend Ashley took over here on Flickr. Since then, I have found out that there may be more amicable ducks off of Main Street in Wareham. I will get over there soon and investigate.

As the weather is getting colder here in Southern Massachusetts, the ocean is starting to get dark, and the boats are coming out of the water, and the beach is becoming desolate. I love the beach most in winter. The stillness, the isolation, the beauty, the infinity, there is just something magical about it all. Ashley and I went on another drive, ending up in Padanaram where we were able to catch the beginnings of a sunset, and I was able to meditate on my choices over the past few weeks. It truly is a time of new beginnings, and I am excited to truly begin to figure out what I want to be doing with myself. I will leave off this post with a couple pictures from Padanaram. Have a great day everyone, it is good to be home.










-Liz

No comments: