Wednesday, October 24, 2007

New Music and Grocery Store Finds

I am currently deep within my third listen of In Defense of the Genre the latest album from the band Say Anything. My friend Andrew Valente from Stonehill was nice enough to send me over a copy, so as to not miss out from everything fun and musical at home. It is always great to get new music, and Say Anything is no exception. The band started off as a guilty pleasure for me, their songs bordering on absurd, with offensive (often politically incorrect) lyrics over catchy pop-punk riffs are just too addictive to ignore. Having seen the band three times live, I must say I am proud to call myself a fan now. The lead singer/mastermind of Say Anything Max Bemis is such a tragic figure, that he begins to stand out from the other bands of his genre. Although, I feel the media focuses too heavily on Bemis' mental health (or lack thereof) it is clearly a heavy influence on his art. It is empowering to see someone like him being not only open about their condition, but to have the strength and bravery to share it with the world in a free form such as music. This album is epic, covering 2 discs, clocking in at over 90 minutes. Listening to it more at once is a chore, but worth the time. I cannot stop listening to it. In a few weeks I am sure I will know all the songs by heart, all 27 of them. Believe it or not, there is no dead moments in between any of the songs, not to mention such great cameos from people like Gerard Way and Chris Carrabba. The style varies from archetypal pop-punk to harder bass driven songs, and even breaks down into electronic beats and hooks. It was a great surprise.

People in America, can go out and buy the album and see for themselves.

Today, my visit to Dunnes was punctuated by a couple of new finds. I was able to get coffee milk! I have yet to try it, but it was sitting right next to the jugs of chocolate milk. I had to do it. I also found a substitute for pepper jack cheese in chili pepper cheese. Subtract jalapenos for chili peppers, and its basically the same. Add some turkey, panini it, and you get a magical taste bud experience. They also sell Pop-Tarts here in obnoxious orange and yellow packages, as if to say "This item is dangerous! Hazardous! Chemical! AMERICAN!" I also bought some legitimate from an Irish Dairy vanilla ice cream, which was basically frozen cream. Surprisingly good for 4 euros. Topped off the brownies nicely.

In academic news, I am three acts into Shakespeare's King Lear for my lecture in Theatre tomorrow.

First game of the World Series tonight. I have noticed some Red Sox gear emerging in the Irish population (all Americans no doubt). I trust the Red Sox will make quick work of the Rockies tonight, and for the rest of the week . A girl can dream. I met another baseball fan from Los Angeles in my Theatre tutorial who was so thrilled to have another American to talk baseball with for a few minutes. Baseball is everywhere. He is also rooting for the Red Sox, obviously.

Hey Ortiz- hit one for the girl in Ireland. :)

-Liz

No comments: