Saturday, October 20, 2007

Red Sox on the Other side of the World

To the left, is a photo of a beautiful pub I discovered while walking along Pearse Street near Trinity. The name is obscured by the growth of flowers, but I liked it just the same. I might have to take a trip there some night and see the inside. I am very curious.

I am having alot of difficulty this October, being separated from the Red Sox. All of my updates come from emails, accounts from Lee, phone calls with my father, and visits to MLB.com. I can only imagine the amount of tension and excitement in the air at home. Everyone is probably so anxious about tonight's game. I really miss the anxiety. Here, I see alot of Yankees apparel, worn mostly by people who probably know very little about Baseball. A visit to a local sporting goods store proved my fears, the only non Rugby and Soccer items in there were Yankees hats, jackets and shirts. Blasphemy

Meanwhile, the Yankees are out, and the Red Sox are still in, hanging on by a thread. This seems very familiar, because the Red Sox have done this before. Oh yeah, 2004. Which got me thinking about 2004, and I miss camping out on the couch with my Dad nervously watching every pitch. There is something really magical about the wanting to know what happens, but not wanting to see it at the same time mentality of watching the game. Sometimes, the policy of ignorance as bliss works best.

It is amazing how integrated into New England culture the Red Sox are. You literally can walk into any plac eof business and find some sort of Red Sox related product, item, or hat wearing customer hanging around. It is everywhere. I miss it most from Dunkin Donuts (In general i miss consistently good coffee, iced or not) and WB Mason, who emblazon the Red Sox logo all over their products. I even have a Red Sox sticker on the G-Ride. The Red Sox are just a way of life.

Today, during my daily check of MLB.com I stumbled on this article. I found it very worthwhile, and very nostalgic, even for me, a Red Sox fan of barely 20 years. I live with two Yankees fan, and an apathetic non-fan from New Jersey. I could not be more seperated from Red Sox Nation here in Ireland. My heart is with the Red Sox. And more importantly, with all the Red Sox Fans who will be watching tonight, biting their nails to see if Schilling can do it again. Game 6 is a magical thing.

I will check MLB.com tomorrow and see how it all panned out. Until then, ignorance is bliss.

-Liz

No comments: