Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tutorials and More

Sorry for the delay in posting. the past few days I have begun tutorials, and unfortunately have also been battling my first cold here in Ireland. Nothing is more uncomfortable than being sick in a foreign country. I am starting to feel better, albeit congested.

Tutorials are an intersting beast. For the most part, the tutorials are fairly straightforward. Out of the four I have had, two are taught by professors, and two by grad students. That being said, each is about 10 students or so and are basically an effort to enhance the content of the lectures with student discussion and debate. My tutorial for Fables looks to be the most difficult so far, half the problem being the grad student has such a thick accent I can barely understand what he says half the time, but the subject matter is also quite difficult as it is. Alot of Chaucer. Lame. My other grad student is alot more relaxed, and was dressed head to toe in Abercrombie and Fitch. Tomorrow is my busiest day of lectures.

A phenomenon I have recently observed in fashion here in Ireland is the sheer amount of Abercrombie worn by everyone. I see more here, than at home. Everyone from 14-30 is decked out in Abercrombie emblazoned sweatshirts and polos and sweatpants. I did some research. The closest Abercrombie is in London. All of the other locations are in America and Canada. This is always couples by a pair of attractive Ugg Boots, and bleached blonde hair. I do not know what to make of this. Eight of ten of these people are Irish, not all American tourists and students. Maybe they all long for the mall culture of America? I do not know. But Abercrombie also does not sell the standard of European fashion that is typical overall. The clothes are decidedly American. Hoodies, fake fur, logos. Slouchiness. None of that screams Ireland to me, but hey apparently it is cool. I do not pretend to understand.

What is going on with the Red Sox. I am so out of the loop. I am still baffled at the Colorado Rockies making it to the World Series.
I hear Stephen Colbert wants to run for President? Sounds like I miss everything fun in America!

How are things where everyone is?

-Liz

No comments: